Swearing

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Swearing

Post  Lovelly_girl on Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:21 pm

Okay, in India, 'Damn' is used like it's not a swear word at all. In fact, people don't even know that it's a swear word UNTIL someone tells it to them. And, i've seen many people use it here. But some people objected using it.
So are we allowed to use the word?

Lovelly_girl

Back to top Go down

Re: Swearing

Post  Verax on Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:06 pm

I would say that it really depends on if you lean towards the technical side of it or the situation now of it. Technically it's a swear word, aka. we are not allowed to use them due to some invisible rules here. However, it's not really looked upon as a swear word today, as you say, and our language changes all the time; for what we may know, other swear words (I won't mention any, the mods will snip it away anyways) can end up like damn. So if you live now, then it's not really considered a swear word. However, technically, it is one. Other than that, I suppose you know my opinions on this topic.

Verax

Back to top Go down

Post  eliment on Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:18 pm

If your not talking about what beavers make it is swearing. Americans don't bleep it out but if its an English show it is bleeped out or not shown till after 8 0 clock when small children should be in bed

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

eliment

Back to top Go down

Post  Verax on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:01 pm

In the end, it's just a matter of perspective. Some people can't stand swearing, some people swear without having any problems with it, and some people are a middle thing between those. However, as with a lot of other things, people shouldn't really expect someone to strictly follow their view, because of the fact that it is their view. Because all views are equally correct.

Verax

Back to top Go down

Post  eliment on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:44 pm

You have a parental thing here as well. some parents will stop there child going on a site where there is under age things going on and so most adults I know swearing is adult launage. Keep it clean and keep the fowl launage (as my nanna puts) it to of line conversations.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

eliment

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelly_girl on Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:21 pm

But then again, i hear even small children use 'damn' almost in every sentence they speak. It's a swear word in few countries, but in others, it just isn't. But as eliment said, adults don't allow children to use websites which use swear words(well, at least most of them).
Damn doesn't actually have a meaning behind it(That's what i think). But the other swear words usally do have swear meanings. So..?Are we allowed to use it or not?

Lovelly_girl

Back to top Go down

Post  eliment on Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:18 pm

it's normally used when something goes wrong, like some people say the S word.
Oh if something goes wrong around small kids don't say bubbles they get exited thinking you are going to give them some to play with. I did it once when I was washing up and dropped a cup.

eliment

Back to top Go down

Post  Verax on Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:32 pm

@Lovelly_girl wrote:It's a swear word in few countries, but in others, it just isn't. But as eliment said, adults don't allow children to use websites which use swear words(well, at least most of them).

It's a swear word in almost every country. However, most people have no idea that it actually is one.

@Lovelly_girl wrote:Damn doesn't actually have a meaning behind it(That's what i think). But the other swear words usally do have swear meanings.

Damn has a meaning. It means "to condemn to hell". However, the confusing thing here is that this is only the verb. The adjective damn is just used as a generic intensifier to the language. Also, used as an adverb, it mean extremely or awfully. As an interjection it is used to express anger or irritation. And finally, used as a noun it can be used as a curse.

So, it really depends on the situation. However, the verb of it is a swear word. But generally, it's a word used to express anger or to underline something.

@Lovelly_girl wrote:So..?Are we allowed to use it or not?

Depends on the situation and your personal view to swearing.

Verax

Back to top Go down

Post  Lovelly_girl on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Wow, i lack knowledge when it comes to topics such as these..I have to get my facts straight!
And thanks for a brief explanation, by the way

Lovelly_girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum